GrandPad is a tablet-style device created and sold by GrandPad. At the time of this writing, it is available only from Consumer Cellular, a US-based wireless carrier. Unlike most tablets, it has full 4G LTE capability. That means it is basically a cell phone in the form of a tablet. The target audience for the GrandPad is the senior citizen. There are a few reasons why this makes sense for that demographic:
- It has reduced functionality. My MIL got an iPhone when she was around 80 years old. She wanted a better camera primarily, but the phone itself was just too complicated for her. She struggled to be able to navigate to the camera on her iPhone or to operate the camera itself.
- It has tightly controlled access. An administrator grants access to the GrandPad through an invite process.
- It allows for phone calls, video calls, text messages, and email. However, all are within the confines of the controlled access.
- Because of the tablet form factor, the buttons are larger and easier to use and navigate.
- The home screen is much simpler than any of the current popular cell phone operating systems.
Related Articles of Interest
- Punkt MP02 Minimalist Phone Review
- Best Cell Phone Plans for Seniors for 2020
- Cell Phone “Unplug Box” for Families
- Best Simple Phones for Seniors for 2020
Questions and Answers
Q: Is there a monthly fee?
A: Yes, there is a monthly subscription fee. On Consumer Cellular, the monthly fee is about $40/month. GrandPad has partnered with Consumer Cellular as the only carrier that offers this service.
Q: Is GrandPad a phone?
A: It is described by Consumer Cellular as a tablet, but it functions as a phone. However, you don’t hold it up to your ear like a phone. It has 4G LTE which uses the cellular network and does not require Wi-Fi to operate. This means there are some public places where you could use GrandPad, but you probably would not want to if you wanted to keep your conversation private or if you were concerned about bothering others in a public space.
Q: What controls are in place for the GrandPad?
A: There is an app for the GrandPad that can be installed on an iPhone or Android phone. Access to the app is controlled by the administrator. Once a contact is added by the administrator and the app is downloaded, the contact gains the ability to interact with the GrandPad. This restricts who can contact the GrandPad user, either through calls, text, or sending pictures.
Q: What are the functions GrandPad offers?
A: The main functions you would expect from a cell phone, namely, phone calls, video chat, texting, and email. Others include:
- Help service
These applications can be added or removed through the administrator function.
Q: What are the best features of GrandPad?
A: One of the best features is the ability for contacts to share pictures and videos with the GrandPad, much like the picture frames for sharing images with senior citizens. Images can be shared through the GrandPad app directly or via email.
Q: What games are available?
A: According to the website, “Solitaire, Blackjack, Slots, Freecell, Word Scramble, Spider Solitaire, Texas Hold’em, Hangman, Sudoku, Crossword, Wordsearch, TicTacToe, Four in a Row, Memory, Tiles, Hearts, and Bridge, with more games being added all the time.”
Q: How do family members get access to the GrandPad?
A: The administrator can grant access. The system will send an email with a link that will allow the recipient to download and install the app. GrandPad apps are available for iPhone and Android operating systems.
Q: Does GrandPad require Wi-Fi?
A: No, it does not. The GrandPad from Consumer Cellular uses the 4G LTE cellular network.
Consumer Advocates Review of GrandPad (Link below)
About the Author:
Terry has been an entrepreneur in the IT industry for over30 years. Go here to read his complete personal story, “Husband, father, Grandfather and IT Executive.” If you want to send Terry a quick message visit the contact page Here.
If you would like to receive weekly email updates about how to talk to, monitor, and control your child’s digital experience, please join our mailing list below.